Dhaka — The Bangladesh government has formed a committee to monitor and review whether government employees are adhering to the “guidelines” for social media use.
According to a Ministry of Public Administration order issued on Sunday, a committee has been formed, with Abul Hasnat Humayun Kabir as chairman and Abdus Salam Chowdhury as member secretary.
Deputy Secretaries Kazi Mohammad Saiful Islam, ASM Mustafizur, and Khalid Mehedi Hasan have also been appointed to the committee.
According to the government, the committee was formed in response to a previous order dated May 7, 2020, in which it issued guidelines for the use of social media by government institutions and employees.
As part of their job, the committee will monitor and review whether the circular is being followed, and if any officer or employee disobeys orders, it will investigate and notify the government.
The following is the most important advice in the guidelines:
1) Refrain from uploading, commenting, liking, sharing any post, photo, audio or video containing negative comments about a state or state important person.
2) Refrain from uploading, commenting, liking or sharing any post, photo, audio or video that tarnishes the image of the government or the state through various means of social communication.
3) Refrain from uploading, commenting, liking, sharing any post, picture, audio or video that may destroy communal harmony or degrade law and order.
4) Disclosure of information contrary to national unity and consciousness should be refrained from. No information may be disclosed that may offend the religious sentiments of a community or contradict the principles of secularism.
5) Must refrain from giving any post which is degrading to a nationally important person, organization or any other service or profession. No disputed information on gender inequality can be disclosed.
6) In the management of social media, everyone should be careful in any ‘content’ or ‘friend’ selection and avoid unnecessary tags, references or shares.
7) Writing, audio, or video of any subject which may cause dissatisfaction or unpleasant attitude in the public mind may not be published or shared. Refrain from spreading baseless, untrue, and obscene information.
8) In addition, the concerned employee will be personally responsible for the misuse of social media or harmful content in his own account and action will be taken accordingly according to the prevailing law.