On September 26, 2018, the Supreme Court had upheld the Prime Minister Narendra Modi government decision to make it mandatory for linking of PAN Card with Aadhaar Card. In the majority judgement, the apex court had termed Aadhaar as the “document of empowerment” with an “unparalleled” identity proof that “cannot be duplicated unlike PAN, ration card, and passport.”
Consequently, the NDA government had announced that all tax payers would have to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card online by March 31, 2019. That means if you do not link your PAN card with Aadhaar card by the stipulated date and if the government decides not to extend the date, your PAN card will become obsolete. You will not be able to use it for any purposes.
According to CBDT data as many as 16.65 crore PAN Cards out of the total about 33 crore were linked with Aadhaar Card by March 2018. Many reports indicates that last year alone, the government had either closed or put 11.44 lakh PAN cards in the inactive category after they failed to link PAN card with Aadhaar Card as per the deadline of March 31, 2018 set by government last year.
Below are the easiest steps that you can follow to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. Do it as early as you can but you must link it by March 31, 2019.
Linking PAN and Aadhaar via Income Tax e-Filing website
Step 1. Visit the Income Tax e-Filing website to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
Step 2. Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number in the form.
Step 3. Enter your name as mentioned in your Aadhaar card.
Step 4. In case only your birth year is mentioned on your Aadhaar card, you have to tick the square.
Step 5. Now enter the captcha code mentioned in the image for verification
Step 6. Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button.
Step 7. A pop-up message will appear that your Aadhaar will be successfully linked with your PAN.
Visually challenged users can request for an OTP that will be sent to the registered mobile number instead of the captcha code.
Link Aadhaar with PAN by Sending a SMS
- You have to type a message in the format. UIDPAN
Send the message to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number.
- If your Aadhaar number is 987654321012 and your PAN is ABCDE1234F, you have to type UIDPAN 987654321012 ABCDE1234F and send the message to either 567678 or 56161
- The PAN and Aadhaar linking is successful only when all details in both the documents match. In case there are errors such as spelling mistakes in your name, your PAN will not be linked with Aadhaar. You can make changes through UIDAI’s website or on the portal of NSDL PAN.
How to correct PAN card details
You can do it on the NSDL website.
Click on the link that redirects to the page where you can apply for the correction of your name.
Submit signed digital documents to get your PAN details updated.
Once your details are corrected in your PAN and confirmed by NSDL over a mail, you can link your PAN with Aadhaar.
In case your name in the PAN card is wrongly spelt, follow these steps to make corrections:
Step 1: Visit the e-filing website of NSDL
Step 2: Select the ‘Changes or Correction in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in Existing PAN Data)’ option from the drop down menu
Step 3: Select the individual category and enter your details
Step 4: Make payment and submit your form online after Aadhaar e-KYC
Step 5: Your updated PAN will be sent to your address
Step 6: Once you receive your PAN card, you can link your PAN with Aadhaar
In case your name in the Aadhaar card is wrongly spelt, follow these steps to make corrections:
Step 1: Visit an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
Step 2: Carry a self-attested copy of your proof of Identity
Step 3: Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment Form
Step 4: Submit the form along with the documents
Step 5: You will get an acknowledgement slip that contains the update request number
Step 6: This URN can be used to check the status of your update request
Step 7: Once your update request is processed and the name is corrected, you can link your PAN with Aadhaar
How to change Aadhaar Details
- Go to UIDAI webpage by clicking https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update
- Enter your Aadhaar and security code.
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- In case you have to change the spelling of your name, only OTP is required.
- In case you have to modify other details such as gender and date of birth, you have to send the supporting documents for updation.
- Once approved, the user can link his PAN card with Aadhaar.