IIT JEE Advanced 2017 Counselling: With growth in engineering branches and aspirants, the Billy Vaughn Koen views on engineering – “the engineering method is the use of heuristics to cause the best change in a poorly understood situation within the available resources” – has become more relevant today. Becoming an engineer is something many Indian students dream of and it is also said that India produces the maximum number of engineers every year.
Over the years, with the advancement in Science & Technology, engineering as a career choice has also become more populaar. It is something that is extensively prevalent across India. But it is really important to understand the different facet of engineering, especially at a time when India’s premium engineering institute, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), is conducting counselling for undergraduate admission.
Engineering is a discipline which has various sub-branches – Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Electrical Engineering & Mechanical Engineering. Off late some of the other major branches have emerged as well – Acoustical engineering, Manufacture Engineering, Environmental, Architectural, Biomedical, Nuclear engineering and much more. In addition, few more branches like biotechnology, computer, automobile engineering and genetic engineering have caught the attention of students.
Today, there are many branches to choose from. But the students need to pick a branch according to their interest and strength, rather going by the popularity of the branch. In India, just passing 12th standard does not make one eligible for admission into engineering colleges. For getting admission into prestigious IIT, student needs to appear and qualify the IIT JEE entrance exams. Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is an all India entrance examination conducted for admission to various colleges to pursue engineering all over the country.
IIT JEE examination procedure
IIT JEE examination consists of two parts – JEE Main AND JEE Advacned. The exam format is objective type. Students who qualify JEE Main are eligible for JEE Advanced. JEE Main is conducted for admission to NIT, IIIT, and CFTI (Centrally Funded Technical Institute) while JEE Advanced is an admission test for IITs. Large number of students opt for IIT JEE coaching in order to clear the hurdle smartly. An estimate of around 2 Lakh students appear for IIT Jee every year.
Other than IITs, there are some institutes who use scores secured by candidates in JEE Advanced as admission criteria. IIT JEE examination is considered the most challenging and competitive entrance exams in the country, students therefore, start preparing well in advance. Large number of students enroll themselves into JEE entrance coaching centre for JEE entrance exam. Coaching centers are usually the tried and tested recipe for JEE success. Choosing a JEE entrance coaching centre among so many is also something students find confusing. Two most important skills that coaching classes help improvise upon are time management and strategy.
IIT JEE admission process
The IIT JEE admission process has two phases – entrance evaluation and initial seat allotment followed by counseling and interview. Students looking to emerge with flying colours should be aware of all do’s and don’ts before taking the JEE Advanced exam.
IIT JEE Advanced 2017 counseling procedure; Do’s and Don’ts
- No matter how the counselling happens and how are you influenced by different factors, ensure that you follow your passion. Choose the branch that is your strength and don’t get easily duped.
- You should be able to predict the college that you will be selected depending on the rank and the branch that you prefer. You can make use of JEE Main rank predictor and rank predictor tool available online including from AskIITians.com.
- Don’t block your mind and stuck to one dream – that is IIT. There are other colleges too where you might get your choice of branch.
- You get 4 years course and 5 years course for engineering. It totally depends on what your goals are and following your plan, you can choose your stream and course.
- Many students make the mistake of choosing a branch by checking what it had offered as average salary in the past. It depends on your skills what you get and not the branch.
- Don’t get influenced by your friends, families and relatives for a branch selection. You need to be persistent about your choice and trust me, with hard work, you will shine in future.
- While many of the students are impressed by the placement records of colleges and make the final selection, don’t rely on it completely as every college would like to showcase positive aspects of the college.
- A balanced calculation will help you win the race because when hard work meets your goal, nothing can come on your way of success.
JEE Advanced 2017 counseling procedure involves five steps:
Step 1: Registration
Candidates can log into the official website and proceed with registration using their IIT enrolment number and password. There is no registration fee
Step 2: Choice submission
Candidates need to select colleges in order of preferences. This should be done carefully as no changes can be made once the choices are locked.
Step 3: Mock allotment
Before announcing seat allotment, mock allotment is released; the objective behind releasing mock allotment is to let students make better choice.
Step 4: Seat allotment result
Allotment is predicated on three factors –JEE Main/JEE Advanced All India Rank, preference of colleges and vacancy in colleges.
Step 5: Reporting
After seat is allocated, candidates will be required to report at the allocated institutes.
This was all about post JEE exam scenario. However how to actually crack JEE is something many students would love to know about. Securing an enviable scores is JEE is no joke and requires ample preparation and coaching. If you are one of those still in dilemma whether to pursue self-study or to pursue coaching, there is no sole deciding factor of achieving success in JEE. Both have their own pros and cons. If you are looking for an IIT JEE coaching then you should know that the best advantage of enrolling into an IIT JEE entrance coaching is the networking with an enormous group of people. Additionally, the revisions and practices along with study material with latest updates on syllabus add up to your preparation.
The author Aditya Singhal is the co-founder of www.askIITians.com, an online coaching platform for IIT JEE, Medical and School Entrance exams.For all the latest News, Follow us on Twitter and Facebook