Tuesday, November 30, 2021
-Advertisement-

Google moves EU court to contest ‘discriminatory’ penalties totalling $8 billion by antitrust body

The penalty is one of three antitrust penalties totalling more than $8 billion that the commission hit Google with between 2017 and 2019. The tech major has appealed against all the three

In a move to take on the so-called ‘discriminatory’ penalty slapped on the global technology giant, Google, the company has moved to a top European Union court to appeal against a record EU antitrust penalty imposed for stifling competition through the dominance of its Android operating system.

The company is contesting a 2018 order from the EU’s executive Commission, the bloc’s top antitrust enforcer, that resulted in the 4.34 billion-euro ($5 billion) fine — still the biggest ever fine Brussels has imposed for anticompetitive behavior.

The penalty is one of three antitrust penalties totaling more than $8 billion that the commission hit Google with between 2017 and 2019. The others focused on shopping and search. The tech major has appealed against all three.

Earlier in its original decision, the commission said Google’s practices restrict competition and reduce choices for consumers. Google, however, plans to argue that free and open-source Android has led to lower-priced phones and spurred competition with its chief rival, Apple.

“Android has created more choice for everyone, not less, and supports thousands of successful businesses in Europe and around the world. This case isn’t supported by the facts or the law,” the company said as the five-day hearing opened at the European Court of Justice’s General Court.

The EU Commission declined to comment. The court’s decision is not expected until next year. At present Android is the most popular mobile operating system, beating even Apple’s iOS, and is found on four out of five devices in Europe.

The Commission earlier ruled that Google broke EU rules by requiring smartphone makers to take a bundle of Google apps if they wanted any at all, and prevented them from selling devices with altered versions of Android.

The bundle contains 11 apps, including YouTube, Maps, and Gmail, but regulators focused on the three that had the biggest market share: Google Search, Chrome, and the company’s Play Store for apps.

Google’s position is that because Android is open source and free, phone makers or consumers can decide for themselves which apps to install on their devices. And because it’s the only one bearing the costs of developing and maintaining Android, Google has to find ways to recoup that expense, so its solution is to include apps that will generate revenue, namely Search and Chrome.

The company also argues that just because its apps come pre-installed on Android phones, it doesn’t mean users are excluded from downloading rival services.

The Commission also took issue with Google’s payments to wireless carriers and phone makers to exclusively pre-install the Google Search app. But Google said those deals amounted to less than 5% of the market, so they couldn’t possibly hurt rivals.

Following the ruling, Google made some changes to address the issues, including giving European Android users a choice of browser and search app and charging device makers to pre-install its apps.

ALSO READ

Subscribe to receive the day's headlines from Tech Observer straight in your inbox

- Advertisement -

DISCUSSION

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -Digital Senate

RELATED ARTICLES