Shooting at YouTube headquarters: Adding to bizarre saga of string of mass killings carried out in the United States in recent years, a woman in her 30s opened fire with a handgun at YouTube’s headquarters near San Francisco on Tuesday, injuring three people before shooting herself dead. Police is mum on the identity of the suspect or motive behind the shooting at a video-sharing service owned by Google.
But some of the media organiasations have identified the woman as Nasim Aghdam of Southern California. According to Chronicle, a vehicle registered to Aghdam was towed from the YouTube parking lot. According to multiple reports, Aghdam appears to be upset over YouTube policy as few of her videos were taken down, leading to downfall in revenues driven by the traffic to her YouTube page.
“There is no equal growth opportunity on YOUTUBE or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to!!!!!” Aghdam wrote.
YouTube Shooting Suspect Nasim Aghdam uploaded this video to her Facebook account – criticizing the company for age-restricting, filtering and demonetizing her videos. pic.twitter.com/3mwuFl5vnE
— Stefan Molyneux (@StefanMolyneux) April 4, 2018
In the shooting, one of the victims, a 36-year-old man, was listed in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital. A 32-year-old woman was listed in serious condition and a 27-year-old woman in fair condition. Authorities did not release names of the victims, reported Rueters.
The three patients taken to San Francisco General Hospital were all awake, Dr. Andre Campbell, a trauma surgeon at the hospital, told reporters. All three people were victims of gunshot wounds, Campbell said, but none of them had undergone surgery. A fourth person was taken to a local hospital with an ankle injury from fleeing the scene.
There are no words to describe the tragedy that occurred today. @SusanWojcicki & I are focused on supporting our employees & the @YouTube community through this difficult time together. Thank you to the police & first responders for their efforts, and to all for msgs of support.
— Sundar Pichai (@sundarpichai) April 3, 2018
“It’s with great sadness that I tell you – based on the latest information — four people were injured in this horrific act of violence,” Google Chief Executive Sundar Pichai said in letter to employees that was posted on Twitter. “I know a lot of you are in shock right now. Over the coming days, we will continue to provide support to help everyone in our Google family heal from this unimaginable tragedy,” he added.
In a separate tweet, Pichai said he and Wojcicki were “focused on supporting our employees & the @YouTube community through this difficult time together.”
Was just briefed on the shooting at YouTube’s HQ in San Bruno, California. Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved. Thank you to our phenomenal Law Enforcement Officers and First Responders that are currently on the scene.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 3, 2018
President Donald Trump said on Twitter that he had been briefed on the shooting. “Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved, Trump tweeted. Thank you to our phenomenal Law Enforcement Officers and First Responders that are currently on the scene.
In response, Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey tweeted: ”We cant keep being reactive to this, thinking and praying it wont happen again at our schools, jobs, or our community spots. Its beyond time to evolve our policies.”
Last month, YouTube announced it would ban content promoting the sale of guns and gun accessories as well as videos that teach how to make guns.