In major a mishap, at least 200 girls were rushed to a hospital from their school on Saturday morning after a gas leak from a nearby container depot. “Around 100 students were admitted to the Majeedia Hospital and 62 at Batra Hospital, in addition to smaller groups that were sent to other medical facilities,” said a police officer to reporter. Gas leak near school left some student unconscious and others with nausea and irritation in eyes
According to reports, the students were in their classrooms at the Rani Jhansi school, close to the Tughalakabad container depot from where the chemical leak is suspected to have been originated.
According to multiple reports, the number of girls affected were around 100. Emergency calls were received by the Fire department around 7.35am.
“I spoke to the girls and the doctors, the condition of the students is normal,” Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia tweeted hours later, after visiting the hospitals.
“We immediately rushed two fire tenders, one Hazmat (hazardous materials) van along with a breathing set van, and rescue teams to the incident spot. Students and staff members of Rani Jhansi School were evacuated and the entire area was cordoned off,” said Atul Garg, chief fire officer, Delhi Fire Services (DFS) reported HT.
Officials from Delhi Police and the National Disaster Response Force were attempting to identify the chemical and how it leaked. But there is no clarity yet whether the truck was inside the container depot or the driver had begun to drive away with the leak, said a fire official. Lieutenant governor Anil baijal also visited the hospitals where the children were being treated.
Romil Baniya, the DCP, South-East said 173 students had been admitted but no student was critical. “A total of 173 students and 9 teachers were admitted to hospital. No student critical. They are feeling better and are being handed over to parents,” he said.